I recently came across this great article from ciaotile.com that complements our last article perfectly. Taken from the perspective of someone who can embrace both sides of the buying process, the author goes into detail on not just the benefits of buying ceramic tiles, but how it is such a better investment to spend your costs up front. Here are their five reasons why the early investment in a great ceramic tile is worth every penny.
- Ceramic Tile is time-tested. The durability of tile as a flooring material is unparalleled. Thousand year old installations of ceramic tile can be found in churches and residences around Europe. And the look of ceramic tile endures, as well.
- Ceramic Tile does not offgas. In other words, there are no harmful fumes that diminish indoor air quality. At a time when we are just learning about some of the dangers of petroleum based products, having a clean, safe product in your home provides peace of mind.
- Ceramic Tile costs less over time. Although ceramic tile may be a bit more expensive to install, the savings over the lifetime of the floor are significant. In fact, one study compared the costs of carpet, tile, hardwood, vinyl and other installations over the average lifespan of the product and found that ceramic tile was the least expensive per square foot. Just think: you never have to strip down and reseal ceramic tile, you don’t have to tear up and replace ceramic tile every 6-10 years, and cleaning only requires warm water and a mild detergent.
- Ceramic Tile improves the value of your home. Why is it that real estate listings never say, “Vinyl floors!”? Well, because everyone knows that vinyl is what the builders put into their cheapest homes. Ceramic tile is the upgrade–and when you sell your home, you will get that investment back, whether it’s two years or ten years since you installed the tile.
- Ceramic Tile looks better. I feel bad even mentioning this, because it’s the most obvious point. I attend trade shows all the time where I see these products installed side by side. No matter how fancy the screen printing on the vinyl tile, it just never looks like the real thing.
Not only are these five great reasons to choose ceramic tiles over vinyl, but if you take into consideration the Life Cycle Costs of each type of flooring, it quickly becomes apparent what the better deal is. Why not choose the floor which gives you the short term win in aesthetics, and the long term win in price?
*Per Square Foot Data taken from the Tile Council of North America
Thank you again to Ciao! as their article was a great read, being both informative and witty at the same time. Read the original article in its entirety here.